Friday, April 14, 2006

Fresh sea breeze and a melon cocktail

A couple of weeks ago I made an traditional Eau de Cologne and experimented with the formula. The traditional Eau de Cologne had notes of:
Lemon, Bergamot, Rosemary, Lavender, Orangeblossom, Petit Grain, Clary Sage, Thyme, Peppermint(a little bit), Orange and Clove.
It smelled exactly like a Eau de Cologne. I thought it would be a nice experiment to ad unusual notes like Melon and Pineapple and give it a more flowery smell by adding flowernotes of Jasmin, Ylang Ylang, Honeysuckle and Gardenia. To give it more stayingpower I added sandalwood, Benzoin, Cedar, Vetiver, a little bit of Ciste rose and just a little bit of a warm and strong musk note. To give the fragrance a more softer and gentler topnote I added Rosewood, Linalool(a component of Rosewood) and Red Mandarin. Some of the original notes of the Eau de Cologne I have left out like Clary Sage, Peppermint and Thyme.
I was pleasantly surprised about the result. The fragrance has no similarity with the Eau de Cologne anymore it's complete different. The result is a pleasant fresh tropical fragrance that reminds me of a fresh sea breeze and a melon cocktail on a hot summer night.
I would change some things about this fragrance though. I added to much Ylang Ylang and I want to ad a crispy green fresh note maybe PADMA or Cyclamenaldehyde and I like to try Galbanum( I adore this scent) or Violet leaf absolute. I will keep you informed.

No comments: