How frustrating it is when you have an idea for a perfume and you can't figure it out how to make it. Four years ago I started to make a perfume for my sweet sister in law. She love perfumes and have a great olfactory sense. For her I made a perfume based on Magnolia. It's a fresh, tender but at the same time a sweet fragrance. In the top notes I used fresh citrus notes like Lemon, Orange and Bergamot, the heart possesses Magnolia, Lilly of the Valley, Orangeblossom, Jasmine Sambac, Rose from Bulgaria, Mai Rose and Cinnamon. The base contain Vanilla, Musk, Benzoin and Vetiver.
The fragrance smelled lovely and she finished the bottle in no time and asked for another bottle. But there is one problem... the fragrance don't have much staying power. So I added other oils to make it stay longer but the problem is that the fragrance change to much. I have to find something to make it stay longer without changing the fragrance to much. I tried Civet and that works but only in a small amount, I tried Sandal but that makes it to sticky, I tried Patchouli what didn't work. I tried more than hundred different formula's and I can't figure it out. Now four years later I still don't know. How frustrating! Every time I give it a rest and start again. I asked the friendly Andy Tauer and he give me the tip to use Ambergris or Ambroxide. The problem is that I don't have that stuff but I will try to find a company that can deliver that in small quantities. Maybe that's the answer!
One day I will find out what will work on that fragrance. One day......!
Have a nice weekend!